Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Counting My Blessings

Today is March 8th.  It has been a year since I drove Ben up to the SLC airport for him to leave for 5 months with the Air Force. I am just feeling so blessed recalling that day and the fact that my husband is here with me now.  He doesn't have to leave today.  I don't have to take him to any airport for him to be gone for months.  I don't have to say goodbye.  He gets to come home to me tonight and tell me how his day went. Ben and I have been through so much this last year that it is ridiculous. We have been strengthened by our trials, but to look back now...WOW! This may be a little thing to be grateful for, but I cannot be more blessed in my life.  Sometimes it is hard to see just how many blessings we have, until we think about something significant in our lives, and we remember that we are blessed more than we know.

A friend here in Mountain Home's husband is leaving today for Air Force para jumper training. I am not sure exactly how long he will be gone, but the feelings of leaving Ben last year came rushing back.  There were so many mixed emotions.  It makes me cry now just thinking about Braeden saying goodbye to his daddy the last time for months. It was terrible.  I cried most of the way back home to Glenwood.  My sister Kim was there so that helped a little, but she didn't really understand.  My friend has an 18 month old little girl and she had to say goodbye to her daddy today.  It just makes me grateful that I don't have to do that today.  I am going to be here for my friend through this whole thing.  She is moving in with her parents, so that will help a little bit...but there is nothing like the companionship of your spouse.  As annoying, or upsetting they may be at times...I would rather have my Ben here with my that not.

I also remember the day that I went up to the SLC airport with Braeden to get Ben.  I was so excited that I felt like I was seeing someone I had not seen in years.  I looked super good and I could not wait to hold my sweetheart again!  Braeden and I parked in the airport parking lot and walked to the baggage claim.  As we were walking along, someone started walking by us...and said "hey."  I looked and it was Ben.  I was so happy to see him. We made out in the airport and we felt like we were engaged again.  It was so good to be with him again.  We grew so much in that time we were apart.  When we were together, we didn't really know what to do, but love each other and be grateful we were together again.  It felt different, but then again we had not seen each other for 5 months...it was bound to be a little weird...maybe not weird, but you catch my drift.

To my friend, you will see your husband again...and it will be the best gift ever.  You will be so grateful for him, and you will be so glad to be back as a family again.  Take this time to grow and learn about yourself.  It will help a lot when John returns.

I love my family, and friends, and all those who I associate will.  They bless my life in ways that I cannot express.  I ask that we all take a little time today to think about how much we really are grateful for our families and count our blessings everyday.

1 comment:

AmyGale said...

I have been thinking about the same thing the past few days with the 300 airmen who just left from here yesterday... I'm sure glad Roger wasn't one of them... He was gone for both Abby and Kole's pregnancies, and he almost didn't make it home in time to see Abby born... So I'm very grateful he will be here for this baby's birth too.