I should have been on that show A Baby Story on TLC. Emerson's delivery was quite an adventure...here is the story.
Ben got an induction scheduled for Monday September 11. So Wednesday September 7th I was just chill. I washed all the laundry and just piled it in the recliner because I knew I had time to get it done. The dishes were piles high as could be, I was making some crafts for my business, my son Braeden was a disaster, and nothing was done. Ben called me at about 5 that night and told me that I needed to be ready to come in when he said to be induced. WHAT!!!! I wasn't ready. I had nothing done. Ben called me about 5:30 that night and said you ready to come in to the hospital to be induced? No way was I ready...but I grabbed Braeden and the few things we would need for him and I headed out the door.
When I go to the hospital they checked me to see how far dilated I was and I was a 3 and 60% effaced. The doctor said that she was going to induce me so I was admitted. Ben took Braeden back to my house to stay with his second cousin Issac and his great aunt Nancy. (They had a blast and I thank aunt Nancy for watching Braed). Ben came back after all was squared away at home, and from there we just waited for the pitocin to kick in and start my contractions stronger and harder. Ben slept for a little while until about 2-3 hours later when my contractions picked up a ton. They weren't doing really anything, so the doc broke my water. From there I went from a 4 to a 10 in 2.5 hours. During that time, I wanted to die. My contractions were so hard and I NEVER remember feeling those with Braeden. I had an epidural with him when I was 5 cm dilated so I really never felt real labor contractions. These contractions are indescribable. They hurt so bad. When I was at a 5 the CRNA came in to give me my epidural. I was so ready by then. The epidural went okay, but it only took on my right side. The nurse and CRNA gave it some time to see if it would move over to the other side and it never did. The contractions were radiating from my left hip down my left leg. It was the worst pain. I was not doing so good. I had to have some oxygen on and breathe really well through all of my contractions. In the end that was the thing that saved me. I had to breath and focus on breathing or I probably would have had more problems.
After a while the epidural didn't take on the left side so the CRNA came back in and tried to move the epidural a little to see if it would take on the left side. In the end, it didn't work. So the CRNA spent another hour and a half retrying to get the epidural in. It was terrible because by the end of that I was 9 cm dilated and I felt like I needed to push. The CRNA tried in 7 different spots to get the epidural in and each spot was tried 7-10 times. Talk about sore back. I had a HUGE bruise and lots of holes. It was terrible too trying to sit there bent over with my shoulders forward and my back arched out (more of a story will come from that position later). In the end the epidural did not take and guess what...I had my baby NATURALLY! Yep, I birthed an almost 9 pound baby with no pain medication. That was not in any sort of birth plan I had. When I was 9 cm the CRNA asked if I wanted a spinal block and I decided not to get one because I already felt like I needed to push and boy am I glad now that I didn't get one (again, more info will come from that later).
For 20 minutes I felt like I needed to push and it was terrible.I had a little bit of cervix left on the left side and the nurse told me that I could probably push it out of the way. With every deathly painful contraction, I started pushing. It just happened...I felt like I needed to. The doc finally came in and and it was time. I didn't think I was going to make it. No, really I told Ben that I wanted to die. It was the worst pain ever. I pushed for 15 minutes and my little Emerson Henry was here. I had a 2nd degree tear, but I really didn't feel any of that. Just the ring of fire as it is known(where the head is coming through). Immediately they put the baby on my chest and I loved that. They didn't do that with Braeden, they just took him from me.
Ben was such a great help through the whole thing. He was a support and strength. He would try to crack jokes, but I wasn't really in the mood. Thank you Ben for your help and love. We are so happy Emerson is finally here. He is such a great baby and we all can't get enough of him.
Saturday, September 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow, what a story. Way to go with the natural birth. How does your husband schedule your induction for you?
He is a nurse and works with all the doctors...so he has kind of an in! :)
Sorry to hear you had a not so fun labor. But you did it, you are TOUGH girl! Love ya, hope you are feeling better, and good luck with baby Emerson :)
The first time I got my epidural, it only took to the right side too! On the third try, they finally got it!
I'm glad everything worked out and he is finally here!
Post a Comment