Wednesday, April 1, 2009
The Diagnosis is in...
Since the end of December, I have had 4 choking attacks that have been really bad. I start to eat something and then choke really bad. I try to drink it down with something then I cannot breath and turn blue. Good thing and a miracle that Ben had been with me all four times. One time this even happened in a restaurant. He has had to do the Heimlich maneuver and help me to be able to breath a little again. I cough for about and hour and a half to two hours and then I drink a little Diet Dr. Pepper and whatever was in my throat goes right down. The next few day after I this, my whole body is sore from violently coughing. So it is not fun at all! Ben finally made a doctor's appointment to find out what they had to say!
Well Ben and I went to the doctor today to see what was going on with my choking. The doctor was really nice and very thorough. He asked me a few questions and told me that I have a problem called Dysphagia. It is one of two things. That I have an allergic reaction to some foods, or the ring around my epiglottis is not shutting or something like that. (My husband is the nurse around here) So I can do one of two things. I can 1. eat nothing but soft foods for the rest of eternity, or 2. have a procedure done that dilates my epiglottis. I will be sedated and under for about 2 hours. So while this is not good news, it is. I don't want to be home one day alone with my baby boy and choke to death. We are going to make the appointment and see what happens. I pray that everything goes well and our prayers were answered that it wasn't more than one surgery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
how scary! but I am glad they figured out what is wrong..we will be praying for you!! oh and congrats on the new calling..I am the 2nd counselor in the RS so I am over all the activities!!! I am really new at all of it..but i LOVE it!!! so if you ever need anything..let me know!
My brother had the same thing. He had to have his throat stretched or something like that! Anyways after the doc did the procedure he hasn't had any problems with choking. Hope things go well for you!!!
Oh that is so scary Steph! I know everything will be ok though! We will pray for you!! Keep us posted!
oh my gosh! scary! i really hope everything goes well and you can get it taken care of .
Oh that is so scary! I hope everything goes well!
I'm sorry to hear about that Steph- good luck with your appointment. You will be fine :)
I'm so glad you have such a wonderful husband!
That is scary, good luck with the procedure and we'll be praying for you that all goes well, and it takes care of the problem!
Oh my word Steph, that is nuts. I had no idea that it was such a problem! I'll keep you in our prayers! and I'm sure it will all go well!
I hope you feel better soon! I'll be thinking about you k. Miss you lots friend! :)
Post a Comment